The Coffee: I am slightly embarrased to compare my job to Mean Girls, but come on, you can’t deny it.
That’s So Fetch: Keeping up with PR news is similar to keeping up with the latest catch phrases. One minute you’re in and the next you accidently tweeted about yesterday’s news that no one cares about. It is important to take every bit of information with a grain of salt, but still act quickly. Seasoned professionals realize what information to act upon and what to shove into the “fetch” category.
On Wednesday’s we wear pink: Often is it diffcult for agencies to fit in with a client with out understanding thier habits first. This also applies for clients picking the right agency. I believe that agencies should always put on a different pair of shoes, so to speak, for each client because they typically demand separate needs.
Full of Secrets: What PR professional doesn’t have a secret contact at so and so newspaper, a new release only for frenemies, or the latest issue of that trendy magazine before you do. Just don’t let it go to your head. Remember to keep friendly ties with as many people as possible; nobody likes a media snob.
There’s a 30% chance it is already raining: Okay try not to predict the weather like Karen, or the news for that matter. Karen is an example of how not to act upon trends. You need to be ahead of the game no matter what.
The Cream and Sugar: Since the age of three, I have been on my toes dancing. I used to pretend I was a Rockette in my tile kitchen only scratching the floor with my tap shoes. It takes a dancer to really appreciate dance art, and I love this photography by Jordan Matter entitled, New Dancers Among Us.
The Coffee: For those of you pondering interning is just for wannabes, you are sadly mistaken. I completed two six-month internships, and I am now on my third. I do not even own a degree yet.
So what are the benefits of being presumably ignored by upper management, driving around the city in the company car, or fetching the food for a client meeting? Here are a handful of tips.
- Networking. Networking. Networking. Use LinkedIn, obtain letters of rec, make friends. More often than not, when I go on an interview I find the hirer asking more about who I know from here or there. Trust me, it will help you in the end when you try to land the BIG job.
- Learn miscellaneous talents. College most certainly does not teach you much (except how many shots it takes before you fall on the bar floor). I find I learn the most while working, following my colleagues, and taking notes. You would be surprised how much your boss dishes to little naive you!
- Decide a career. Well obviously. But seriously, if you hate your internship, you probably should not do it as a living.
- Patience. One of the most important things I learn is how to wait. You will have slow days. If you ask for work, it will come.
- Smile. Yes, it is true. A smile and positive attitude can really get you places. They’ll exclaim “Oh that intern, she looks like she is having fun!”
The Cream and Sugar: How do people think of these things! This is something I only dream about!
I am talking about these sweet potato cinnamon rolls from one of my favorite food bloggers, So Good and Tasty. Literally my two favorite food splurges are sweet potato fries or anything with cinnamon. Thanks for making me wish I was anywhere but this darn cubicle.
The Coffee: How appropriate. It’s National Coffee Break Day.
I would like to take a moment and think about how many coffee breaks I take. It is a little upsetting that today’s society focuses more on the break rather than the grind. Take Starbucks new reveal; they now accept mobile payments nationwide with a smartphone. This to me is deadly. My debit card is already like monopoly money never mind a little machine that thinks your phone is the bank. Starbuckians will now have the ability to overdose on overpriced coffee only further perpetuating the coffee addiction.
While critics say that coffee consumption will drop for younger generations, this doesn’t mean that caffeine intake will. If you are drinking coffee to get through your day, you must not enjoy it very much. Take your next break to evaluate what excites you, keeps you going, puts you in a good mood. Once you figure it out, you shouldn’t need caffeine.
The Cream and Sugar: Really? I love soccer; I don’t love soccer as much as my dutch roommate so I WILL NOT show her this picture. This 8 armed slimy beast definitely snatched the win from Holland. Europeans are so weird.